Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Blankie Dilemma

Apparently, Jack is one of the few (if only) children who actually suck on his security object. That darn blankie of his is just digusting- if it doesn't get washed at least every-other day, then it begins to smell like bad breath and hints of mold - not to mention the layers of crumbs that are adhesived to the fabric when Jack puts the thing in his mouth to soon after a meal. What a vile thing that blankie.

Today, Auntie (daycare lady) asked if I had washed Jack's blanket. She was blantantly shocked that I hadn't - I left feeling like one of the lowly germs clinging to the corner of blankie, sure that my son was exposing all the other kids to a bevy of viruses and more cat hairs than they've ever seen. I called Auntie back an hour later, feeling both defensive and guilty about my son's favorite object- I told her that we would have to make some changes. Blankie needs to become a night-time attatchment only. She told me that she gave Jack a recieving blanket with nap - that he wasn't too happy, but fall asleep just fine. I realized that I have no idea what taking away his blanket will do to him- if it will make him hate daycare - dread it and feel completely insecure- or if it won't be a big deal and he'll recover just fine. I wish someone would tell me.

Anyway, next week begins phase one of blankie separation. I hate this - I want Jack to have what he wants and to enjoy all the pleasures of life, and don't want him to deal with any pain, but I also don't want a kid who ends up privleged, spoiled, and, well, with no backbone. The blankie dilemma is just the beginning of dealing with such complex parenting issues - next week it will be the bullies at school.

Ugh.

3 comments:

April and Frank said...

blankie~ i know it but not at the extent to what you are dealing with. Daisy had "dudly" and she new how to ask for him. So if he doesnt really now how to ask for him and you just do it at daycare so "aunti" has to take care of it all the better. Dont you bother with it just dont take it to daycare and he will get used to not having it there with him. but at home let him have it. That is just my opinion. I love you and take care. April

Anonymous said...

Could you just make the blankie his comfort when it is nap and sleep time - at day care and home (consistency when sleeping) and make sure the blanket is washed and conceal the blanket when traveling and give it to auntie for her to give him when he goes to sleep? Did jack appreciate the other blanket I bought for him that was the same material? Could you give that one to auntie to keep at daycare for him for his naps? I hope you get more input from others with children that have blankie attachments for your confidence in what to do.
I hope we can talk some this weekend - We miss you all so!! xoxo Love - Mom Wilsie

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura, Ed and Jack,
I agree with the picture, he is sure a cute little guy and really looks like Ed.
Tami had a blankie dilemma with Selina. She would suck her thumb and the blanket at the same time and it went everywhere with her. When she started pre-school it was there with her but in a backpack and only taken out when necessary. Not once that I know of did she need it at daycare and pretty soon the blanket would stay at home and now or course at 8 yrs old she wouldn't even begin to think about having one.
I'm not so sure about taking it away completely but I never had to deal with anything like that when Gary was a baby, (39 yrs ago).
Love you,
Aunt Betty