Friday, October 14, 2005

Yet Another Reason to Forego the Paternity Test

So, Jack's been cranky this week- spiked a fever of 103 degrees the other night. Today, the fever is down, but he's been hitting his head against the floor and getting pissed off pretty easy. He's either teething, experiencing his first ear infection, having a growth spurt (he inhaled lunch and dinner), or more than likely - some combination of all three.

After returning home from a walk in the rain to change the scenery (and to eat a mum petal from someone's flower basket) , Jack tore into his boca cheeseburger for dinner. About two bites in he grabbed his hair with a ketchup coated grip. I reacted by reaching over to scratch his head to avoid a blob of condiment that I wasn't willing to wash out in the tub. As any one in Ed's family knows - or as anyone well acquainted with Ed's family, the insatiable desire to be scratched is more than prevelant. I've spent at least 1/4 of my married life scratching Ed's back, his head, behind his knee, his big toe (yes). I'm not exaggerating here. Anyway, Jack loved the scratches; when I took my hand away, he grabbed it and then put it back on top of his head to continue what Ed has dubbed "the circle of scratch."

Tonight while playing on "mommy and daddy's" bed before Jack's bedtime, I tried the circle head scratch on Jack to show Ed. Once again, the little guy returned my hand to his head when I thought I was finished.

Ed looked over, slightly proud that this indeed was his son, but also perturbed that his own scratches are now having to be shared.

No comments: