Friday, October 28, 2005

Extrovert

Last night we visited our next door neighbors- the ones who have degrees from Notre Dame, and, subsequently, watch the Irish football games on T.V. Ed enjoys their company. As do I. I didn't realize, though, just how much Jack enjoyed their company. Erik had invited us over for mass and dinner (he works at a church and has a strong tie to the catholic community here; apparently everyone takes turns each week to have a mass at home). Everything started at 7:00- just about the time Jack is winding down for bed, but we thought we'd head over a bit early, say hello, and head home before Jack got too tired and/or started babbling during the liturgy. At 6:30, I asked Jack if he wanted to go over to Erik's house and say "hi." The little man immediately walked expectantly to the door, turned around and looked at me as if to say, "well, let's go!"

I've mentioned before how much Jack enjoys social outings. If he's particularly grumpy, but not yet tired, and we have some money in the checking account, we'll head out to dinner where he'll flirt with the waitresses, talk with any willing listener, and *poof* he's in a better mood. Such behavior is alien to Ed and I for the most part. Growing up, I gained strength from sitting in my room, redecorating the Barbie house or reorganizing all my stuff. In grade school, Ed dreaded being asked to take a note to the secretary in the school office- or anything that would involve him having to deal in any small way with anyone outside of his small, familiar surroundings. This isn't to say that Ed and I are hermits; in fact, we are currently on the prowl for a babysitter so we can FINALLY go out and enjoy ourselves. As with most folks, our introvert side balanced itself over the years. Ultimately, though, we both gain energy from retreat, not advance.

Jack, on the other hand, as I've said, THRIVES around other people. Last night, at Erik's house, we were sitting in the living room. Jill, Erik's roommate and Christine, Erik's friend from South Bend, Ed & I were engaging in pleasant conversation. Jack, a bit shy, at first (so, yes, he is our son), kept throwing me the ball the Erik was trying to get him to play catch with. Within five minutes, though, Jack suddenly started performing what could only be some novice form of breakdancing. Seriously. Standing up, he'd lean over, put his right hand on the floor, turn around his hand, his body would follow and then land on all fours, having spun 360 degrees. Then squeal. The five of us laughed, not realizing the affect our response would have; Jack continued to show his new move, throwing in some genuine spins on both feet, and wait for applause. After that, he was walking around the dining room, taking wheat thins from Erik in the kitchen, hardly aware of where WE were, and babbling up a storm to anyone or anything that he thought might be interested (read: he wouldn't shut up).

Where did he get this extrovert temperament? My mom maybe? Who knows. It's fun to watch. And it will be interesting to see how it evolves. By the time he's five, Jack will have more friends than Ed or I together. I can just see it now- we head downtown some Saturday weekened and Jack waves hello to every other kid in a stroller, making playdates, wondering why his parents don't go out more often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From Nana Wilsie: I want to see him in action-I hope you can come home for Xmas! I would love to claim some of the credit for Jack's extroverted personality - I don't think I started so early in life --- & it sounds like he is cultivating more extrovertedness than I could even relate to. I am looking forward to what profession in life he is drawn to -what a precious child - I anxiously await to hear more about all of Jack (and of course yours and Ed's as well)! HAPPY HALLOWEEN XOXOXO --MOM(NANA WILSIE)