Friday, July 15, 2005

No Veggies, Please- It's My Birthday

Not that avoiding vegetables would distinguish today from any other day. But, today was an especially veggie-free, busy day. I just finished putting Jack to bed (exhausted) after our routine battle about not standing up in the bath (tonight, after I told him in my "stern" voice to sit down, he looked at me and started dancing- well, he is one years old afterall). We went to the Woodland Park Zoo this morning- saw some bears, giraffes and hippos - Jack saw a lot of older kids that he wanted to be near (or just be like) -- ate some chicken and cheese (no veggie booty today, thank you), got caught in a bit of rain and headed home for a quick nap before visiting the West Seattle Junction street fair.

Last year, not 10 days after Ed & I moved to our new apartment, we visited the street fair. I was HUGE- about to pop with Jack, so we drove (we drove today, too, because of the rain). It was hot, hot, hot but fun. This year it made sense to visit again, this time with Jack outside the womb. He was a bit tired, but up for socializing. He had his first chicken curry (rice on the side, but no veggies unless you count the tomato, butter-based sauce the chicken came with). He also tried, but didn't care much for, my favorite ice-cream: Husky Deli's swiss chocolate orange (apparently Jack likes the minty ice-cream). He walked quite a bit, and like at the zoo, regressed into crawling - my mom said his legs must be tired; I think he yearns for the early days when he was just a baby.

Well, now that he's one, it's time to think about those resolutions. We've already talked about the zuchinni, broccoli, and carrots about to color the high-chair tray. As for Jack's personal goals this year, I think he would secretly like to be able to grab and hold onto Max's (our cat) tail for at least five seconds before being nipped at (as opposed to the usual 1 second before Max growls his "I'm thoroughly annoyed" meow). I think I'll let them work that out.

In the meantime, I feel a bit like I did the day after Jack was born- quite tired, yet content, and every now and then looking through the "surreal" lenses (you mean this is my son?). The amazement has become somewhat ordinary- it coats days like today with a quiet timelessness. I think heaven must be a little like experiencing your child's first birthday- you still have all the "stuff" of life around you, but it is overshadowed by this little piece of immortality, making all the "stuff" cling to your thoughts like what I imagine the fairy dust does to the characters in Shakespeare's "A MidSummer Night's Dream." In other words, a bit more magical, hopeful, and purposeful. Like the universe is essentially good and, duh, didn't you know that?

No comments: